Housed in the College of Public Service (CPS), the UHD Lab for Equity in Action is dedicated to addressing inequities and promoting social justice through the combined efforts of Criminal Justice, Education, and Social Work. The Lab’s goals are to: promote community-based research and engagement; develop signature interventions aimed at reducing inequities; become a hub for equity focused research; and provide training and support for the UHD and Houston community as we promote justice and equality with those who are training for, or are already in, public service careers.
The Lab for Equity in Action is committed to empowering our faculty, staff, students, and community partners to engage in meaningful social and policy change by focusing on the following areas:
- School to Prison Pipeline…dismantle disparate sentencing, grading, and punishment outcomes that push students out of the school setting and into the justice system.
- Teacher Development…provide ongoing support for the development and sustainment of effective teaching practices that in turn promote student achievement in grades K-16.
- Implicit Bias… raise awareness and understanding about the underlying causes and long-term impacts of unconscious biases.
- Engagement with the Houston Community…establish meaningful and sustained relationships with the community to collaboratively address issues affecting the health and well-being of our community and its members.
- Advocacy… promote the holistic well-being of all members of our community, through social inclusion, social change, empowerment, and problem solving processes.
- Civic Identity…foster an environment validating diverse lived experiences, develop a sense of belonging among other change makers, and foster a sense of responsibility that leads to a lifelong, and relationship-led, commitment to the public good.