REQUIREMENTS TO BECOME A MEMBER OF SIGMA DELTA PI, THE NATIONAL COLLEGIATE HISPANIC HONOR SOCIETY
CHAPTER PSI CHI
- Have a minimum 3.0 average GPA in Spanish classes
- Have a minimum overall GPA of 3.2 at UHD
- Be in third-year upper-level Spanish classes.
- Have taken an upper-level literature class in Spanish OR an upper-level culture class in Spanish (3000 or 4000 level).
- Be willing to collaborate and participate in the chapter's events, and to participate in the Initiation Ceremony as needed.
- Be enthusiastic promoters of Hispanic/Latino culture.
- Be recognized for your excellent work by this Honor Society, the only one that recognizes university students in Spanish at the national level.
- Apply for scholarships to study abroad (in Spain, Ecuador and Mexico).
- Apply for graduate student scholarships to conduct research once in graduate school.
- The opportunity to develop your leadership skills.
- The opportunity to be recognized with honors and prizes at the individual and chapter level.
- Lower car insurance rates with Geico.
- Make more friends, work with other students and get to know the Spanish faculty.
- Network with other members of Sigma Delta Pi who are now employed or pursuing graduate school.
- Receive an honor cord which identifies you as a member of Sigma Delta Pi, along with your pin and which you can wear at graduation.
A $25.00 one-time payment which makes you a member for life (pays for your pin and certificate), plus $10.00 to help with the cost of the Initiation Ceremony, for a total of $35.00. If interested please contact Dr. William Nowak at firstname.lastname@example.org. Dr. Nowak is the faculty advisor. Generally we have an initiation ceremony every Spring and Fall semester