Public Works: The Dēmos Center for the Public Sector
220 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10001
(Internship will be based in Houston)
Dēmos is a non-partisan public policy research and advocacy organization founded in 2000. It is headquartered in New York City with offices around the country. Public Works: The Dēmos Center for the Public Sector is one of its core programs.
The Public Works program helps to build support for a revitalized public sector that works for the common good by helping advocates, policymakers, community leaders, and the public re-envision the role of government. As part of its educational and community outreach efforts, Public Works produces a monthly radio show in association with Pacifica Radio Houston. The program, titled
First Tuesdays, examines the distinction between government and politics; explores the essential role of government in our everyday lives; and challenges people to think about government and politics in a more productive way.
The title gets its name from the fact that as American citizens we vote on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. It is broadcast on the first Tuesday of every month at 9:30am CST. It can be heard live on KPFT Radio 90.1 FM in Houston, streamed live at
First Tuesdays accepts interns year round. Actual dates are coordinated with the educational institution’s internship program and academic calendar.
Description of Internship
Public Works is currently seeking 2-3 interns to work on the
First Tuesdays radio show. Most interns work 15-20 hours during the school year and 20-40 hours a week during the summer. Interns may receive academic credit for their internship if provided, arranged, and approved by the intern's educational institution. This internship is not considered an employment program and offers no financial compensation.
- Provide students with knowledge of and practical work experience in the field of radio broadcasting.
- Gain experience in program research and development, production scheduling, studio and/or location recording, script-writing, and audio editing techniques.
- Gain hands-on experience assisting in the production of a monthly half-hour radio broadcast.
Specific Duties Include:
- Assist producer/host in all aspects of pre-production, production and post-production
- Assist producer/host in the control room during taped interviews and/or live broadcasts as needed
- Research various topics and issues
- Participate in editorial meetings
- Assist with social networking efforts on Facebook and/or Twitter
- Assist in the production of website updates and other audience development and audience relations efforts
- Various other duties as assigned
- Currently enrolled in college or university a preferred major in Communications, Political Science, Public Deliberation, or similar field of study
- Passionate about media and interested in government, politics, and/or civic engagement
- Web-Savvy and skilled in using social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of radio production techniques helpful not required
- Most interns work 15-20 hours during the school year and 20-40 hours a week during the summer. Days and times are somewhat flexible
Contact Name and Number
The Dēmos Center for the Public Sector