The Literacy Council of Fort Bend County
Internship Description: Non-paid internship
- The applicant must have completed at least two years of college and must be in good standing academically.
- All students applying for an internship are subject to a background check.
- An intern must commit to a minimum of three days or 20 hours a week per semester.
- Students who are doing a for-credit internship during the academic year must comply with their schools’ requirements for academic credit and be supervised by a faculty member working closely with Literacy Council of Fort Bend County Supervisory staff.
- Interns must maintain strict confidentiality about any of the information that they might be given access to during their internship.
- Interns at all times must dress appropriately and maintain the schedule that has been approved by both the institute of higher education and the Literacy Council of Fort Bend County.
- Compiling news clips
- Updating contact lists
- Help maintain the Literacy Council of Fort Bend’s website
- Possibly helping to develop a new website
- Assist in writing news releases
- Writing and editing the Literacy Council of Fort Bend materials
- Assist with multi-media activities
- Registering and assessing adult learners seeking services
- Assisting with office/clerical duties
- Assisting with data entry in the donor, student, and tutor databases
- Communicate with individuals with limited English language proficiency
Special Skills Needed:
- Must be studying public relations or journalism
- Strong writing skills
- Must be able to work on multiple projects
- Must be able to work independently
- Must be able to work in a multi-cultural environment
Interested college or graduate students should send a letter of interest and their resume to:
The Literacy council of fort Bend County
12530 Emily Court
Sugar Land, TX 77478
or email information to Kelli Metzenthin at
The letter should indicate the student’s current year in college or graduate school, an explanation of the student’s interest in an internship with The Literacy Council of Fort Bend County and an estimate of the number of hours per week and number of weeks that could be committed to the internship program.