City of Houston Mayor’s Office of Communications
Houston, Texas 77002
The internship is approximately 10-20 hours per week all year round and is available immediately . The position is designed to give the intern a general exposure to city government, and is focused on online communications. The primary responsibility is help with CitizensNet, an email system whereby persons may receive periodic emails from Mayor Annise Parker and the City of Houston on topics of interest to the person and the person’s neighborhood.
As time permits, there could also be work in other forms of media relations. Responsibilities might include general researching, writing media advisories and articles for local publications, sorting through print and video news clips, maintaining media monitoring, composing letters and ceremonial documents.
Although, the position is not salaried, the City will provide paid parking. In return, the intern will gain valuable work experience while contributing to the City. Other benefits of the internship include exposure to City Council public session, agenda session and committee hearings. Upon completion of the internship, references are possible and course credit information (if needed and if requirements are met).
- Maintaining CitizensNet database
- Proofread and edit CitizensNet messages
- Help create CitizensNet messages
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent composition, writing. grammar and telephone skills
- Knowledge of AP style
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Proficient in Internet and utilization of email
- Ability to handle general clerical/administrative tasks
- Self-motivated and directed.
- Ability and flexibility to prioritize assignments, multi-task
- Demonstrated attention to detail in all work projects
- Professional appearance
- Timeliness as to assignments and work hours
Melissa Ragsdale Darragh
Director of Social Media & CitizensNet