City of Houston Municipal Courts Administration (MCA) Department
Intern for the City of Houston Municipal Courts Administration (MCA) Department
We are looking for a Communications or Professional Writing major to assist with our day to day operation. A description of what our division covers is below. A minimum of 20 hours a week is requested, but a full time intern would be a huge help. Hours of work would be Monday thru Friday, during normal business hours or anytime within the 8:00am to 6:00pm time frame. Some projects and assignments may be done from home and communicated electronically.
This position is unpaid, but the compensation would come in the form of valuable experience gained. Our department assists in the operation of the largest municipal court in Texas, and probably the third largest in the nation based on case volume. Working here would provide a unique perspective of the inner workings of a modern municipal court, and thus an opportunity for hands on education and professional growth in preparation for the intern's post graduate career.
Communications Division Overview
Communications Division Manager, Gwendolyn Goins serves as MCA's Public Information Officer and manages 4 employees in the division.
The division is responsible for:
- The timely completion and reporting of open records requests based on the guidelines of the Texas Public Information Act;
- Internal & External communications including the departmental newsletters public information brochures and press releases;
- Stakeholder Relations in the legal community (defense attorneys, bondsmen), the Mayor's office, City Council, other governmental bodies and the news media;
- Community Education and Muni Court Clinics
- Employee relations and events including community outreach and volunteerism; and
- The department Director's reception area.
Qualifications/Skill Sets Required
The ideal intern will possess the following qualifications and skills:
- At least 60 hours of collegiate course work
- Major in one or more of the following disciplines: Communications, Professional Writing, Information Technology, Business Administration, Pre-Law, English, or Journalism
- Microsoft Office Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook (Publisher and HTML experience a plus)
- Excellent written communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Highly self motivated team player
For more information, please contact:
Municipal Courts Administration
1400 Lubbock, N223
Houston, Texas 77002