About the Program
Field Experience (COMM 4380) is an internship program that gives communication students an opportunity to develop work experience and connect with professionals in communications fields.
Students must meet the following prerequisites before enrolling in the Field Experience course:
- Attain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Complete at least 60 credit hours, with a minimum of 6 hours earned at UHD.
- Declare a major in Communication Studies at UHD.
How to Apply
1. Find an internship.
- Meet with the degree coordinator or the Career Center staff to discuss placement options.
- Research local institutions and inquire about current or potential internships.
- Internships can be paid or unpaid.
An internship must:
- Be relevant to your degree program and future goals.
- Take place in a professional communications environment.
- Be a position in which you do not work for relatives.
- Be a position outside your current employment
2. Complete and submit the following documents (hard copies) to the program coordinator:
- Field Experience Application
- Copy of current resume
- UHD Grade History (available on e-services)
The degree coordinator and on-site supervisor will evaluate your performance throughout the internship experience. You will earn a Satisfactory (S) grade for the course if you meet these requirements:
- Meet with the degree coordinator to discuss progress at least once.
- Submit a one-page summary and evaluation of the internship experience upon completion of the term.
- Complete 120 hours of satisfactory work, as verified by the site supervisor.
International students must receive approval from the Coordinator of International Admissions, Suite 350 South, 713- 221-8048, in addition to all of the steps and requirements given above.