City of Pearland
This intern position offers a real world, hands-on experience for the right individual. Interns are expected to have strong writing skills and interest and/or familiarity with video production (shooting, editing, lighting). The successful candidate will not be intimidated by members of the media and daily media contact, be highly motivated, well-organized, have the ability to work independently and be willing to learn and take direction from experienced professionals. Pay rate $9.00/hr, part time (15 hrs. a week).
- Assists in writing and editing news releases, designing issue-specific communications plans, implementing public communications protocols, refining internal communications and developing dynamic web-based communications tools.
- Provide effective computer graphics assistance, A/V technical assistance, and equipment assistance to other members of City staff.
- Conducts interviews and writes scripts for City’s municipal channel – Pearland TV (PTV).
- Utilizes City social media channels to promote City programs and services and plans and executes social media promotions.
- Produces informational and entertainment programs including: commercials, documentary style projects, ENG style packages for PTV and all video post-production.
- Set up and remove video equipment during video shoots; role in directing cameras and sound control board for taping meetings; edit and load program content for broadcast to include video compression for Web site use.
- Web content management: write, edit and post content and content updates to the City Web site and assist departments with web page improvements.
- Assists with support of various city events including, but not limited to photography, invitations, video support and promotion.
- Strong writing skills and social media experience.
- Experience in videography, non-linear editing, lighting and audio for video.
- Experience in proofreading/editing and a professional attitude.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Communications Staff and the general public.
- Must have ability to function effectively as a member of a small, creative team with multiple responsibilities; organize work effectively and meet short deadlines.
Education & Experience:
- Enrolled full-time at (or graduated from) an accredited university, working toward a degree in Communications, Journalism, Media Studies, English or closely-related field.
- Excellent oral communications skills.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Software.
- Adobe Creative Suite/Final Cut Studio and video experience preferred.