Center for Latino Studies
Hispanic Heritage Month Contest!
In celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, the Center for Latino Studies invites submissions of student essays, creative writing, and artwork engaging themes of Latino identity and culture.
We are accepting admissions in three categories:
- Academic Essay (works of non-fiction in any academic discipline minimum 750 words, maximum 10,000 words)
- Creative Writing (short stories, poems, screenplays, etc., no longer than 10,000 words total)
- Art (drawings, paintings, comics/cartoons, photography, graphic design, sculpture, jewelry, etc, submitted as 2D image file)
- Current UHD student
- Submission must be original, created by only the student
- Each student may enter only one submission to this contest
- Must directly engage Latino identity and/or culture
How to Enter:
- Email submissions as attachments to
email@example.com by October 15
- In the subject of the email, write: “Hispanic Heritage Month Contest”
- Submit written work as a .doc file
- Submit art as .jpg file
- File names must list student’s last name, first name, and submission category (e.g.: Martínez_María_Academic Essay)
- Each submission must be accompanied by a separate .doc file listing the following:
- 1. the title of the work
- 2. the author’s name
- 3. genre
- 4. submission category, and
- 5. a one-paragraph explanation of how the work engages Latino identity/culture
Submissions will be evaluated by a panel of experts based on originality, composition, and engagement with theme.
First prize in each category wins $100 egiftcard. Winners announced on November 1, 2020.