Master of Science in Technical Communication
The Master of Science in Technical Communication (MSTC) degree program is dedicated to the advancement of the theory and practice of technical communication, understood as the process of crafting, presenting, and disseminating specialized knowledge. We provide our graduates with writing, design, and management skills based on rhetorical principles. Students will gain publication and production skills, study project management and the ethical and global implications of professional communication, participate in research, conduct audience analyses and usability tests, and create web sites and online help.
We believe that by providing students with a rigorous foundation in our discipline, they are empowered to recognize and respond to social justice issues and affect positive change in both their workplaces and their communities.
This program is valuable for a range of candidates:
- Professional writers, public relations and communications specialists, or corporate training professionals seeking promotion to managerial positions or interested in teaching technical writing in community colleges or high schools
- Practitioners in science, technology, energy, public health, and other specialized fields with the goal of expanding employment options
- Undergraduates interested in an applied master’s level degree, either to increase their employability or to pursue a doctoral degree in technical communication
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the MSTC program will demonstrate professional level skills or knowledge in the following areas:
Document production: Write, design, and edit effective and ethical documents in print and electronic genres.
Rhetorical literacy: Apply rhetorical literacy principles to evaluate and produce documents.
Global and social awareness: Analyze and respond to multicultural and social justice implications of technical communication.
- Research methodologies: Conduct and report research using appropriate methods and critical theories.
- Technological aptitude: Use current technology to produce effective documents.
Return to top
One or more documents on this site are in PDF format. In order to view and print these document(s), you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader software. It can be downloaded from the Adobe website.