American Diabetes Association
7670 Woodway Drive
Houston, Texas 77063
The ADA is a nationwide non-profit organization that works to improve the quality of life for people who have diabetes through educational programs, literature, and lifestyle programs and services. The ADA also serves the community through various support groups and also keeps health care professionals up to date on the latest developments in treatments.
Description of Internship
The American Diabetes Association (ADA) seeks a highly motivated, self-starting student who is passionate about diabetes, marketing & special events. Intern will provide support to ADA staff and gain valuable skills and insights while assisting with event planning, corporate research and volunteer outreach for the American Diabetes Association throughout Houston & The Woodlands area. The internship is not paid, however there are many opportunities to receive excellent practical experience. If your degree program requires that you do an internship, this can be used as course credit (where applicable).
This internship will enable a skilled student to assist the ADA by working on important fund-raising cultivation events. This internship will provide the opportunity to gain experience in a variety of areas including:
Social Media Intern
The American Diabetes Association Brand Marketing & Communications team is looking for a Social Media Intern to join our growing team. The ideal applicant will possess strong knowledge of the digital media landscape, including various social media platforms and best practices. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing our social media presence, posting on blogs and social networks, engaging with our followers, participating in online outreach and promotion, reporting, optimizing our website and conducting keyword analysis. Those looking to gain valuable online media experience with an established organization are encouraged to apply.
- Researching charitable programs of major local corporations
- Assisting with implementation of marketing strategies
- Project development and management
- Strategic planning of brochure distribution
- Street team recruitment and management
- Research and data entry projects
Criteria for Interns
- Time commitment of 15-20 hours a week (or required amount by internship class)
- Must have reliable transportation
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills
- Excellent writing and research skills
- Ability to see the “big picture” and assist with all aspects of events and programs.
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student preferred
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Internet and e-mail
- Proficiency in database management and design of spreadsheets
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
- Superior academic record
- Ability to be flexible
- No experience necessary, but attention to detail and accountability required
The intern will also be assigned a self-initiative project to help enhance the 2019 Houston Tour de Cure event to be completed by the end of their internship.
Meoshia Simmons, Associate Manager, Donor Relations