Ronald McDonland House Houston - Holcombe House
JoyFULL Eats Intership - Outreach Coordinator
This position is for Spring / Summer 2022. The position will be on location, and the schedule will be flexible, but specific hours will be determined based on student’s availability and agency needs.
Ronald McDonald House Houston offers a home away from home, providing care, compassion, and hope to families with seriously ill children being treated in the Texas Medical Center.
The JoyFULL Eats Intern – Outreach Coordinator provides advancement outreach and administrative support to the Food Operations Manager. Responsibilities include working with the Food Operations Manager to identify, solicit, recruit and develop new meal donors, scheduling family meals and coordinating with volunteer groups, correspondence and general clerical support, food pick-up/delivery when needed. This internship requires someone who is a team player, works well in a dynamic, ever-changing environment and supports the core values, goals, objectives and mission of Ronald McDonald House Houston as set forth by the Board of Directors.
Bettina Leuschen, Food Operations Manager
Ronald McDonald House Houston, 1907 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030
This is an unpaid internship unless you have been awarded college work/study funding. If hired through a college work/study program, compensation is up to a maximum of 20 hours per week.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Working with the Food Operations Manager to identify, solicit, recruit and develop new meal and in-kind donors for the main house and 3 hospital locations
- Participate with Food Operations Manager in community outreach to grow current and develop new community partners.
- Assist with managing meal donor scheduling for 4 RMHH locations and confirm dates and information are correctly entered and tracked in VolunteerHub (Volunteer Management System).
- Update and maintain Outlook calendar for each Program location
- Assist staff in ensuring that groups’ needs are addressed prior to arrival, materials are organized and easily accessible.
- Assist with donor recognition and tracking in Raiser’s Edge (donor database).
- Provide warm, friendly and timely communication with RMH Houston staff, volunteers, donors and families utilizing services.
- At times develop interesting social media content, flyers in Canva
- Other duties as required and assigned/approved by Food Operations Manager or Operations Team.
- Someone who is outgoing, a good communicator, listener, and detail oriented. The position requires a person who demonstrates good judgment, flexibility and dependability
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office products, capable of understanding new information at a rapid pace
- Social media savviness and creativity a plus, experience designing in Canva or willingness to learn
- Excellent interpersonal skills, professional in manner and demonstrates supportive and cheerful behavior
- Ability to interact gracefully with donors, staff, volunteers and the public in person and writing
- Ability to relate to families and children of various ages and cultural backgrounds
- Ability to communicate compassionately with patients/families on a one-on-one basis
- Ability to interact comfortably with patients who may be very ill
- Someone with a pleasant personality and an empathetic and caring nature who is genuinely interested in making a family’s stay more comfortable and easier
- Excellent customer service skills inclusive of external and internal customers
- Demonstrates excellent verbal phone skills with a cheerful and pleasant voice
- Successful completion of background check
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, provide documentation of vaccination and commit to testing if develop COVID-19 symptoms
The following skilsl are not required but would be very beneficial:
Spanish or other language
Clean driving record in order to be added to RMH Insurance and to drive organization's vehcile.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a volunteer to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job the volunteer is regularly required to walk distances, sit and stand, exhibit hand/finger dexterity, see, talk and hear.
- The volunteer may be required to lift up to 25 pounds.
- The volunteer will be required to walk short distances within the House on a regular basis.
- The vision requirements include close, distance, peripheral, and depth perception.
- Exposure to development/fundraising principles
- Experience working with a donor database and volunteer management system
- Learning and improving upon skills specific to donor and community engagement
- Opportunity to meet with senior leadership to learn more about the organization site
- Visit hospital locations to further understand the whole breadth of the what the organization does
- Gaining exposure and experience in community outreach with local restaurants, civic groups and corporations
- Experience in working with volunteers
- Experience in developing flyers and training materials that focus on creating a culture of hospitality and inclusion
- Learn food safety guidelines for settings with immune-compromised patients
- Gain a better understanding of hunger and its impact on families in healthcare crisis
- Letter of Recommendation and Volunteer Hours record available upon successful completion of internship
- Go to the
RMH Volunteer Hub
- Select Create New Account to submit application
- When prompted on the next screen, enter Join Code
RMHHINTERN to open the internship application
- Upload resume as part of application*
*Only applicants who submit both the application and a resume will be considered
COVID-19 PROCEDURES SAFETY CONSIDERATIONS AT RONALD MCDONALD HOUSE:
Due to the current pandemic, increased safety measures are in place at Holcombe House:
Return to top
- A limited number of volunteers may participate at any time
- Signs mandating proper hand hygiene posted throughout house
- All employees and residents over the age of 2 must wear masks while outside of the resident rooms at Holcombe House. Gloves must be worn while handling food and as needed for extra support in other areas of the house. Masks and gloves will be provided to employees and family members.
- Minimum of 6 ft social distancing requirements enforced at all times - including restricted use of kitchen and laundry areas, staff monitoring access
- Bathroom on first floor closed to family members, restricted to staff and volunteers only
- Atrium and dining room furniture has been spread out to accommodate social distancing and playrooms closed.
- No unapproved visitors permitted inside the building including donors, volunteers and staff outside of assigned team members, family members and other siblings
- Increased sanitizing stations have been installed throughout the House.
- Staff and approved volunteers meet donors outdoors only to accept donations and maintain social distance.
- Increased housekeeping to keep surfaces sanitized
- Process in place to inform staff of illnesses, suspected illness, or COVID-19 exposure
- Families strongly encouraged not to go elsewhere besides hospital and Holcombe House – volunteers available for picking up groceries and other needs.