CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
This comprehensive 50 hour program will prepare students to work as a pharmacy technician in a retail or other pharmacy setting and to take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board’s PTCB exam. Course content includes: pharmacy medical terminology, the history of pharmacy, the pharmacy practice in multiple environments, pharmacy calculations and measurements, reading and interpreting prescriptions and defining drugs by generic and brand names. Through classroom lecture and hands on labs, students will review dosage calculations, drug classifications, the “top 200 drugs”, I.V. flow rates, sterile compounding, dose conversions, aseptic technique, the handling of sterile products, total parenteral nutrition (TPN), dispensing of prescriptions, inventory control and billing and reimbursement.
Topics covered in the course include:
- The history of pharmacy and healthcare
- Pharmacy technician role and responsibilities
- Pharmacy technician certification and registration process
- Types of pharmacies including the hospital pharmacy, retail practice, long-term care practice, mail order pharmacy, home care pharmacies, and others
- Drug regulation and control
- Pharmaceutical terminology and related anatomy
- Parts of the prescription and labeling
- Pharmacy calculations and math review
- Pharmacy measures and abbreviations
- Routes and formulations
- Parenterals and compounding
- Basic biopharmaceutics
- Aseptic technique and the handling of sterile products
- Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN)
- Basics of IV solutions and calculating 24-hour supply of IV solutions
- Factors affecting drug activity
- Information and pharmacy resources
- Inventory management and financial issues
- Brand names and generic drugs
- Drug names and drug classes
Education & Certification
- Students should have a high school diploma or GED.
- The Pharmacy Technician Certification Board's (PTCB) is the national certification exam.
- Numerous states now require PTCB certification to work as a pharmacy technician.
- Certain national and state pharmacy technician certification exams are available.
Choose the Format that works for you
Pharmacy Technician Program classes are offered on campus and online, giving you the option to choose the format and schedule that works best for you. Our classroom programs give you the familiar experience of working within a traditional classroom setting. Online classes offer the same great program as the traditional class with the added flexibility of attending class from anywhere or at any time.
$1399.00 ($1359.00 if registered 10 days or more before start of the course) – includes course materials, instruction and externship (80 hours)
$1199.00 (Online course) - Includes externship (80 hours).
The Career Training Loan from SallieMae has been designed specifically to help you finance your education or training and offers hundreds of dollars over financing options. It can be used for distance learning or other continuing education and related expenses, and loan applications can often be completed within minutes. Our school ID is 00361298.
Click Here for detailed information and online application.