UHD Police Department patrols the campus 24 hours, seven days a week. Parking violators may receive a university citation, a warning citation, a city of Houston citation, or Harris County citation. The registered permit holder is responsible for any citations issued to the permit.
A partial listing of violations:
- Parking in a non-designated area
- Parking permit not properly displayed
- Falsifying, reproducing or altering a permit
- Parking in a no parking zone
- Unauthorized parking in a reserved, handicapped, restricted or visitor parking area
- Obstructing traffic, street, sidewalk, crosswalk, driveways, trash containers and building entrances and/or exits
- Parking in service drives or access drives leading into parking areas
- Parking in a striped zone
- Parking a vehicle with any part thereof extending across a line which serves as a boundary of a parking space or parking area such that parking of other vehicles is impaired or where such parking creates a potential hazard
- Parking without a valid permit
- Parking in a tow-away zone
- Other violations as defined on the face of the citation(s)
A full listing of violations can be found in University Policy Statement 01.B.01 Section 3.2.21.
Resolution of Citation
If you receive a citation, you can either pay the fine or appeal the citation. Fines will double if not paid within five calendar days of citation date. Fines can be paid with cash or check at the Parking & Transportation Services Office (Suite N117) or by credit or debit card at the Cashier Office (Suite S310). After five calendar days fines can be paid online using myUHD. A citation must be appealed within 10 calendar days of the date of the issued citation or the recipient waives the right to appeal.
The violator can voluntarily surrender a valid parking permit to Parking & Transportation Services Office and thereby lose all parking privileges on campus for a period of 30 days for each citation. Only citations assigned to the permit holder may be resolved by permit surrender. This option is not available during the final 30 days of any semester.
By University Policy Statement 01.B.01, the President of the University of Houston-Downtown appoints a parking violations appeals committee and the Vice President of Administration and Finance provides an equitable and efficient appeals process through the committee.