SSEM Division-wide Staff Protocol for
Handling Student Customer Service Concerns
Each unit within the Division of Student Success & Enrollment Management is expected to make every effort to provide stellar service to students which includes ensuring that students are given access to the necessary staff and other resources to assist them in resolving their concerns.
The following is the protocol for the individuals who are expected to be available to assist and meet with students, depending on the nature of the concern and depending on with whom the student has already interacted. In addition to the information below, please refer to the UHD Student Handbook and the College Catalog for more information of address student complaints:
- Customer Service Counter and/or designated CS Manager – There is a customer service counter and/or designated manager for handling customer service issues within most of the SSEM student service units (i.e., Financial Aid, Admissions, Registrar, Veterans, etc.) The customer service counter/staff designee is charged with the responsibility to initially meet or speak with students to address their concerns., If the student's concern remains unresolved after assisting a student at this level, the student should be referred next to the Director of the student service unit;
- Unit Director - the Unit Director is asked to directly meet with or contact the student by phone and is empowered to offer a range of solutions for the student. If the student's concern remains unresolved after meeting at this level, it is referred next to SSEM Central Office Dean or Assistant Dean;
- SSEM Central Office Dean or Assistant Dean - If a student comes to the SSEM Central Office with a concern, the Assistant Dean of Students and the Dean for Enrollment Management are designated as the point persons for "triaging" student concerns and coordinating assistance for the students with the appropriate offices, service units, staff or faculty in order to intervene as needed.
Oftentimes, the Unit Director and Customer Service staff designee will have a sense of when a student is not satisfied with their attempted response or resolution and therefore should assume that the student will likely escalate their concern to the SSEM Central Office. Because of this likelihood, the Unit Director should prepare summary "triage/briefing" information about the student's concern(s) and provide that information as advanced notice to SSEM Central Office deans with a "cc" to the Vice President for Student Success & Enrollment Management.
If an SSEM dean discerns that the student has not yet met with the Director, the Dean or Assistant Dean will attempt to provide intermediate guidance to the student but then will attempt to connect the student to the Director either by calling the Director to SSEM Central Office to meet with the student or by having the Admin Assistant in that area schedule an appointment between the student and Director. This meeting between Director and student can, if so desired, occur in the SSEM Central Office Conference room depending on the urgency of the matter at hand, rather than sending the student back over to the Unit. If the student's concern remains unresolved after meeting at this level, it is referred next to the Vice President for Student Success & Enrollment Management;
- Vice President for Student Success & Enrollment Management - meets with student after all other avenues above have been exhausted and the student matter is still unresolved. Prior to the meeting with the student, the Dean and Assistant Dean should provide the Vice President for Student Success & Enrollment Management with summary "triage/briefing" information about the student's concern(s) that has been collected from the unit Director and customer service counter/manager to aid the Vice President in determining viable options for the assisting the student. If a student believes s/he has still not received a satisfactory resolution after meeting with the Vice President for Student Success & Enrollment Management, the student may of course opt to elevate his or her concern to the Office of the President. In expectation of this, the Vice President will forward a copy of the student's briefing document to the Office of the President along with a summary of any resolution(s) that have been offered to the student at each level/attempt to assist the student;
- Office of the President – Generally after listening to and supporting the student, the Office of the President will, except in rare instances of egregious student concerns, refer the student back to the Vice President for Student Success & Enrollment Management or to the appropriate Dean for further attempts to assist the student.
In addition to the information above, please refer to the UHD Student Handbook and the College Catalog for more information of address student concerns and complaints.
Page maintained by SSEM
Last updated or reviewed on 2/5/13