Skip navigation

Facebook logo for Veterans Services


UHD Veterans Services
One Main Street, Suite S244
Houston, Texas 77002-1001

Phone: (713)-221-8622
Fax: (713) 223-7443


Hours of Operation

8:00 am – 5:00 pm



Hazlewood Decision

On January 26, 2015, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas-Houston Division ruled that a portion of the Hazlewood Act was unconstitutional. That provision requires veterans to have been a Texas resident at the time they entered military service in order to receive exemptions of tuition and fees at Texas public institutions of higher education.


The office of the Attorney General is currently reviewing the decision and may appeal the ruling. In the interim, current Hazlewood eligibility requirements remain unchanged pending appeal and legislative action, except for the individual specifically named in the lawsuit.


Veteran Services


The following is a list of important steps for prospective and incoming veteran students as they begin their academic experience here at the University of Houston-Downtown.


Step 1 Apply to UHD

  • Admissions: The admissions process is the first and most important step for all prospective and incoming UHD Students.
  • Apply for UHD admission go to
  • Submit official transcripts from all schools and service branches.
  • Get your Joint Service Transcript: JST is the Joint Services Transcript that has replaced the Coast Guard Institute Transcript, the Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS) and the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART). JST is an academically accepted document approved by the American Council on Education (ACE) to validate a service member's military occupational experience and training along with the corresponding ACE college credit recommendations.
  • Once you receive your acceptance letter from UHD please set up GatorMail account, through my UHD
  • Credit for Military Service: House Bill 269 makes military veterans who enroll in Texas universities and meet certain requirements eligible to receive undergraduate credit for the time they spent in the service. Eligible veterans receive college credit for all the required physical education courses needed for their degree and up to an additional 12 credit hours of elective course work.


Step 2 Apply for VA Benefits

  • Fill out form 22-1990 an Application for VA Education Benefits.
  • To file for vocational rehabilitation and employment, veterans and some service members may use VONAPP. Service members will enter their estimated release from active duty date or retirement date.
  • To file for education benefits, veterans, service members, reservists, and spouses/dependents of a "service connected" disabled or deceased veteran may use VONAPP. If the benefit you're applying for isn't listed as an option on the VONAPP form (REAP chapter 1607 for example) check unsure for the benefit type and use the remarks section of the application to indicate which benefit you wish to apply for.
  • To file for Veterans Pension benefits, veterans may use VONAPP.
  • Transferring students fill out VA form 22-1995 a change of program or place of training.


Step 3 Apply for Financial Aid

  • UHD Financial Aid Office (School Code is 003612)
  • Veterans DO qualify for federal student aid!
  • Even if you are receiving Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits, you can still receive federal student aid as well. I was unaware of this when I started my graduate degree. If you would like to apply for federal student aid, then you will have to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can save yourself some time by making sure you gather all the documents needed to apply.
  • You may be eligible for a Monthly Housing Allowance.
  • Remember the Basic Allowance for Housing you used to get while you were active duty? You can get a Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) while attending college classes when you use your Post 9/11 GI Bill! Even if you are taking online courses, you can still receive up to $684 a month in MHA. The Post 9/11 GI Bill also covers tuition and fees, and even provides an annual stipend of up to $1000 for books and supplies.


Step 4 Register for Classes

  • Take the placement Test: Student success is dependent upon the university's ability to place entering students into classes appropriate for their academic skill level
  • Have Transcript Evaluated
  • See an Academic Advisor
  • Register for Classes: UHD students can register for classes online through student e-services. If you are admitted to UH-Downtown for the current semester, are in good standing, and do not have holds, then you are eligible to begin the registration process.


Step 5 Certify for VA Educational Benefits

  • Complete Enrollment Packet
    Submit all necessary forms and documents to Veterans Services by fax (713) 223-7443 or by email



Page maintained by Office of Student Affairs

Last updated or reviewed on 4/7/15

   Click here to print this page

Find us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter   Read Skyline   Join us on LinkedIn   News RSS   Events RSS