||UHD Powerlifting is open to any UHD students, faculty members, or staff members who agree to abide by the UHD Powerlifting membership requirements.
Members of UHD Powerlifting have responsibilities to themselves, their teammates, the Sports & Fitness Department, and the University of Houston-Downtown. Therefore, the following are required of all members:
Conduct During Training Sessions
- Student members must maintain a Grade Point Average of 2.75.
- Members must participate in three scheduled training sessions per week, one for bench press, one for deadlift, and one for squat. Members who, for reasons of disability or extenuating circumstances, cannot meet this requirement MUST make special arrangements with Coach Hudson.
- Members who must miss a training session which they usually attend must inform Coach Hudson in advance (or as soon as possible in case of emergency).
- Members will compete in designated team competitions, barring injury or illness.
- Members must make arrangements to train during all vacation periods and summer sessions. UHD Powerlifting trains year around. Champions don’t take vacations.
- Members must be give 100% effort to the team at all times. UHD Powerlifting will accept no less.
Conduct at Competitions
- Members of UHD Powerlifting will conduct themselves with respect and class at all times during training sessions. UHD Powerlifting members shall set the example for good conduct in the Student Life Center (SLC).
- Members will keep safety first and foremost in mind during training sessions. To this end:
- members will not wear clothing that is excessively loose while training;
- members will not chew gum or toothpicks while training;
- members will not use or carry cell phones for talking or texting while training (phones may be carried if an urgent call is expected);
- members will not wear headphones while training;
- when a teammate is doing a set, members who are not directly spotting will focus supportive attention on their teammate's efforts--there will be no idle conversation, loud talking, joking, flirting, or the like while a teammate is doing a set;
- members will ALWAYS secure plates to bars with clips or collars no matter how light the weight, and members who are between sets will double-check teammates' bars to be sure that they are using clips or collars, as well;
- members will cooperate with SLC staff members at all times and obey their instructions; and,
- members will obey the instructions of Coach Hudson, assistant coaches, and team captains at all times.
- Members who have been placed on a written training program will bring a copy of their program to every training session.
- Members will write down their training sessions in detail and post their report in their current training thread on the team discussion board.
- Members will remain at training stations with teammates during workouts; there will be no wandering off during training.
- Members will check in with Coach Hudson at the end of their workouts before departing the facility.
- Members will keep their training areas clean. This includes:
- re-racking all plates in their proper places;
- cleaning up all chalk or powder; and,
- putting away any special team equipment, such as boards
- Members at competitions, and traveling to and from competitions, whether competing or not, are ambassadors of UHD Powerlifitng, UHD Sports & Fitness, and the University of Houston-Downtown and shall conduct themselves in a manner that honors their team and their university. You will be the only direct connection most people will every have with the University of Houston-Downtown. Therefore, make sure that you make an impeccable impression.
- Members will not carry firearms, illegal substances, or alcohol on their persons or among their possessions when traveling to or from official team competitions.
- Members will strictly obey all alcohol laws while on official team trips.
- Members will take special care to avoid damaging rooms or making excessive noise while staying at hotels on official team trips.
- Members will be courteous and respectful toward, and cooperative with, all meet officials and meet workers. This includes:
- addressing meet officials by "Sir" or "Ma'am";
- shaking the hands of all three judges after third and fourth attempts; and,
- thanking spotter/loaders for their efforts after third and fourth attempts.
- Members will be courteous and respectful toward, and supportive of, other competitors. Incidents of taunting--verbally, physically (by body language), or any combination thereof--will NOT be tolerated under ANY circumstances and will result in the offending member's immediate removal from UHD Powerlifting.
- Members will be courteous and respectful toward spectators.
- Members are allowed to politely ask judges why a lift was turned down after receiving two or more red lights unless we are competing in a federation that doesn't allow communication between lifters and judges. Incidents of arguing with judges will NOT be tolerated under ANY circumstances. UHD Powerlifting coaching staff members will handle any disputes concerning rules, while lifters will leave the platform and prepare for their next attempt.
- Members will not use profanity or foul language on the lifting platform.
- Members who have completed their attempts will remain in the competition venue to help and support their teammates.
- Members will be present for the entire trophy presentation.
- Members will obey the instructions of Coach Hudson, assistant coaches, and team captains at all times.
The above requirements will factor in to the "point system" under development for the disbursement of any future scholarships that UHD Powerlifting may offer. In addition to the impact of the above requirements on point accumulation, members may also earn points for participating in recruiting, fundraising, and service activities.
If you would like more information about these requirements or about UHD Powerlifting,
contact Coach Hudson.