Skip navigation

Fresh Start / Academic Amnesty


Fresh Start

A Texas resident is entitled to apply for admission as an undergraduate student in any public institution of higher education under the fresh start program. The university shall not consider academic course credits or grades earned by the applicant 10 or more years prior to the starting date of the semester in which the applicant seeks to enroll. An applicant who is admitted with a fresh start may not receive any course credit for courses undertaken 10 or more years prior to enrollment. If a student earns a baccalaureate degree, and applies for admission to a postgraduate or professional program offered by a public institution of higher education, the institution shall consider only the GPA of the applicant established by the course work completed after enrollment under the fresh start program, along with any other criteria the institution uses in evaluating applicants for admission. Nothing prohibits a public institution of higher education from applying standard admissions criteria to persons seeking admission to the institution.

For more information about the fresh start program, please contact the admissions office (if you are a new applicant to UHD) or the Registrar’s Office (if you are a current student at UHD).


Academic Amnesty

After a four-year absence, a student returning to UHD may petition his or her academic dean for academic amnesty. To be eligible, the student must not have attended any institution of higher education for the four-year period immediately preceding readmission to UHD. In addition, the student also must complete 24 semester credit hours with a minimum grade point average of 2.5 following readmission. The amnesty provision applies only to the application of credit toward a degree and computation of the student’s grade point average. No grades on the student’s permanent record are altered or deleted.

If academic amnesty is granted, all courses with grades of F or D earned prior to readmission are ignored in applying credit toward fulfillment of degree requirements and in future computations of the student’s grade point average. A student granted academic amnesty relinquishes all rights to graduation with honors and any other academic recognition based on grade point average.

For more information about the academic amnesty program, please contact the department which oversees your major of study (undeclared majors should contact University College).







Page maintained by SSEM

Last updated or reviewed on 1/9/13

   Click here to print this page

Find us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter   Read Skyline   Join us on LinkedIn   News RSS   Events RSS