University of Houston-Downtown
Freshman Summer Success Program
Weathering the Storm: Academic Resilience and Persistence
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning to sail my own ship."
Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888) 19th Century American Novelist
This 4-day extended orientation program emphasizes academic preparation and problem-solving skills as key components of student success, streamlining the transition from high school to college and beyond.
Strategies for weathering setbacks and focusing on positive outcomes help students navigate the ever-changing landscape of higher education and begin to embrace opportunities, as well as challenges, as a means of achieving academic success; equipping students to become critical thinkers and effective problem solvers ultimately impacts the quality of their lives and the world in which they live.
- Attending simulated academic classes on Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday taught by full-time faculty in courses such as Drama, English, History, and Math
- Establishing new friendships and building a support network as you meet professors and other students
- Attending an awards dinner at which you receive a $200 book voucher to help purchase your textbooks
- Learning about financial aid, campus organizations, available resources and services, the general education core, and majors available at UHD
- Receiving a copy of Mountains Beyond Mountains, the freshman common reader
- All participants must attend the Opening Session on Saturday, July 14th (9a.m. – 3p.m.)… parents are invited as well… then choose either of two weeks the program is offered.
- Select Week 1 or Week 2 and, depending on availability, a M/W/F schedule or a T/TH/F schedule:
- Week 1
Mon (7/16) and Wed (7/18) (9a.m. – 3p.m.) or Tues (7/17) and Thurs (7/19) (9a.m. – 3 p.m.)
Fri (7/20) Advising/ Registration for all Week 1 participants (9a.m. – 3p.m.)
Dinner for Week 1 students and parents (6– 8:30 p.m.)
- Week 2
Mon (7/23) and Wed (7/25) (9 a.m. – 3 p.m.) or Tues (7/24) and Thurs (7/26) (9a.m. – 3 p.m.)
Fri (7/27) Advising/ Registration for all Week 2 participants (9 a.m. – 3 p.m.)
Dinner for Week 2 students and parents (6– 8:30 p.m.)
Space is limited each week to the first 150 students who apply, so register today! If you have any additional questions, contact David Morales at 713-221-8513 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated or reviewed on 7/20/12