Department of Natural Sciences
Minors in the Natural Sciences
Students may focus secondarily to their major degree plan in another discipline to earn a Minor in Bioinformatics, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Sciences, Geology, or Microbiology. Multiple minors can be obtained (see academic advisor in the Department of Natural Sciences). No upper-level courses with grades of D will be counted. No transfer credits with grades of D will be counted. A minimum GPA of 2.0 is required in courses applied to the minor. Upper-level courses must be taken at UHD. Credit for directed studies, field experiences, honors thesis, and undergraduate research cannot apply.
- 22 hours of Bioinformatics
- BIOL 3303/3103, MATH 3302
- One course from BIOL 3302/3102, BIOL 4303, BIOL 4320, BIOL 4330, CHEM 4340/4140.
- At least two courses from CS/MATH 3308,STAT/MATH 4306, CS 4328, CS/MATH 4333, CS/MATH 4399
- At least two courses from MATH 3301, MATH 4315, MATH 4304, STAT 4307
- Students majoring in an area of the natural sciences, computer science or mathematics should choose courses in consultation with their academic advisor.
- 22 hours of biology with only eight hours at the lower level
- Must include a minimum of four three-contact hour laboratory courses.
- 21 hours of chemistry: must include CHEM1307/1107, 1308/1108, 3301/3201 and eight hours of upper-level chemistry.
- 23 hours of Environmental Sciences
- BIOL 3302/3102; BIOL 3310/3110 or upper-division geology course not listed below (e.g., GEOL 3410 or petrology or stratigraphy related course) with approval of Environmental Science Coordinator
- BIOL/CHEM 4260, or relevant BIOL/CHEM/GEOL 3300 with approval of Environmental Science Coordinator
- Pick two: BIOL 4360, CHEM 3320, GEOL 3303, MBIO 3340
- Pick one: CHEM 3310/3110, GEOL 3340, GEOL 3410, or 4390 Special Topics course relevant to Environmental Science with approval of Environmental Science Coordinator
- Pick one: ENG 3329, PHIL 3320, BA 3303
- 20 hours of geology must include GEOL 1405, 1406 and 12 hours of upper-level courses in geology.
- 20 hours of microbiology must include BIOL 1301/1101, 1302/1102, MBIO 2305/2105 and eight hours of upper-level
- 20 hours, must include PHYS 2401/2101, 2402/2102 and three upper-level courses in physics.
- General requirements: No upper-level courses with grades of D will be counted. No transfer credits with grades of D will be counted. Must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 in courses applied to the minor. Credit for directed studies, field experiences, honors thesis and undergraduate research cannot apply.
Page maintained by
CST Web Support Technician
Last updated or reviewed on 3/25/14