Department of Natural Sciences
Minors in the Natural Sciences
Students may focus secondarily to their major degree plan in another discipline to earn a Minor in Bioinformatics, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Sciences, Geology, or Microbiology. Multiple minors can be obtained (see academic advisor in the Department of Natural Sciences). No upper-level courses with grades of D will be counted. No transfer credits with grades of D will be counted. A minimum GPA of 2.0 is required in courses applied to the minor. Upper-level courses must be taken at UHD. Credit for directed studies, field experiences, honors thesis, and undergraduate research cannot apply.
- 22 hours of Bioinformatics
- BIOL 3303/3103, MATH 3302
- One course from BIOL 3302/3102, BIOL 4303, BIOL 4320, BIOL 4330, CHEM 4340/4140.
- At least two courses from CS/MATH 3308,STAT/MATH 4306, CS 4328, CS/MATH 4333, CS/MATH 4399
- At least two courses from MATH 3301, MATH 4315, MATH 4304, STAT 4307
- Students majoring in an area of the natural sciences, computer science or mathematics should choose courses in consultation with their academic advisor.
- 22 hours of biology with only eight hours at the lower level
- Must include a minimum of four three-contact hour laboratory courses.
- 21 hours of chemistry: must include CHEM1307/1107, 1308/1108, 3301/3201 and eight hours of upper-level chemistry.
- 23 hours of Environmental Sciences
- BIOL 3302/3102; BIOL 3310/3110 or upper-division geology course not listed below (e.g., GEOL 3410 or petrology or stratigraphy related course) with approval of Environmental Science Coordinator
- BIOL/CHEM 4260, or relevant BIOL/CHEM/GEOL 3300 with approval of Environmental Science Coordinator
- Pick two: BIOL 4360, CHEM 3320, GEOL 3303, MBIO 3340
- Pick one: CHEM 3310/3110, GEOL 3340, GEOL 3410, or 4390 Special Topics course relevant to Environmental Science with approval of Environmental Science Coordinator
- Pick one: ENG 3329, PHIL 3320, BA 3303
- 20 hours of geology must include GEOL 1405, 1406 and 12 hours of upper-level courses in geology.
- 20 hours of microbiology must include BIOL 1301/1101, 1302/1102, MBIO 2305/2105 and eight hours of upper-level
Page maintained by
CST Web Support Technician
Last updated or reviewed on 10/9/13