Center for Applied Polymer Science Research
20 Years of Undergraduate
UV-Polymerization Research in Houston
Students Involved with CAPSR
As of September 1, 2014, 111 students have worked in CAPSR in some capacity since 1993-94. Of these 111 students, five were high school students who worked in CAPSR during the summers of 2007 and 2008 as part of a special outreach program. Also, two college students were post-baccalaureate students enrolled in undergraduate courses. At least 79 others have now graduated: 29 with B.S. degrees or concentrations in Industrial Chemistry, 18 with B.S. degrees in Chemistry, five with B.S. degrees in Chemistry w/concentration in Biochemistry, one with a B.S. degree in Chemistry w/concentration in Forensic Science, seven with B.S. degrees in Biology, five with B.S. degrees in Micro-biology, seven with Biological & Physical Science (BPS) degrees, two with degrees in Biotechnology, one with degrees in both Chemistry and Biology, one with degrees in both Microbiology and BPS, one with a degree in Computer and Mathematical Sciences, one with degrees in both Industrial Chemistry and Computer Science, and one with a degree in Interdisciplinary Studies.
The following CAPSR graduates have gone on to graduate schools or other post-graduate education programs:
- Ms. Nameera Baig is in graduate school in chemistry at Notre Dame University.
- Ms. Elda Rueda, a chemistry graduate, is a graduate student in the Physiological and Vision Science Program at the College of Optometry at the University of Houston.
- Mr. Dustin Bryant, a chemistry w/emphasis in biochemistry graduate, completed an M.S. degree at the University of York, York, England, UK and is now seeking a Ph.D. in Mathematics at the University of Houston.
- Ms. Jessica Collins, a biology graduate, is a graduate student in biomedical sciences at Albert Einstein Medical School.
- Mr. Jon Jordon, a biology graduate, is in Medical School at UT-Houston.
- Dr. Vien Lam, a chemistry graduate, has completed an M.D. at UT-Houston.
- Dr. Nguyen Lam, a chemistry/biology graduate, completed his M.D. at UT-Southwestern Medical School and has entered Dental School recently.
- Dr. Mai Lam, a chemistry graduate, completed a physician assistant (PA) program at UTMB, Galveston.
- Mr. Daniel Kurukji, an industrial chemistry graduate, completed an M.S. degree program in “green chemistry” at the University of York, York, England. He is now in a Ph.D. program at the University of Birmingham, Birmingham, England.
- Ms. Hilda Hinojosa, a biotechnology graduate, completed a histology certification at UT-MD Anderson.
- Mr. Sean Luce, a biotechnology graduate, completed a second B.S. degree at UH-Downtown in Computer Science. He then attended Rice University in biochemistry for a time but now works in industry.
- Mr. Long Duong, an industrial chemistry graduate, completed a second B.S. degree at UH-Downtown in Computer Science.
- Dr. Whitman Liu, A Houston Police Officer, completed a Pharmacy degree at Texas Southern University in Houston.
- Mr. Mehdi Esmaeiliyan received a second B.S. degree from UH-Downtown and then received an M.S. in microbiology from UT-Houston. He is now an adjunct faculty member at UH-Downtown.
- Dr. Ekong Uffort, a microbiology graduate, completed medical school at UTMB, Galveston.
- Ms. Merlin Mathews, an industrial chemistry graduate, is attending medical school at the American University of Antigua.
- Dr. Vedangi Sample completed a Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences at Johns Hopkins University and now is a post-doctoral fellow at Harvard Medical School in Boston.
- Dr. Daniel Brenes, a chemistry graduate, completed a Ph.D. in chemistry at Penn State University.
- Ms. Melanie Urdiales, a chemistry graduate, completed an M.S. degree at UH-Clearlake.
- Dr. Deann Ashby graduated from veterinary school at St. Georges University.
- Dr. Christopher Matranga, an industrial chemistry graduate, completed his Ph.D. in chemistry at the University of Chicago during the spring of 2002 and currently works for the U.S. Department of Energy.
Below is a link to the student researchers that have participated in CAPSR.
Page maintained by
CST Web Support Technician
Last updated or reviewed on 9/10/14