Phase 1: Your Pre-Internship Candidacy (Semester 1)
After being admitted to the program as a candidate:
- Successfully complete first semester of coursework (see below), which includes 6 hours per week (60 clock hours total) of fieldwork in an assigned public school.
- Pay fees associated with university coursework, tuition, books, etc.
- Upon successful completion of courses, get Statement of Eligibility packet from UHD Certification Coordinator to seek and secure employment for a one-year teaching internship in your grade and certification area in a Texas Education Agency accredited school (public school district). Internships should begin in August or January.
Phase 2: Securing Employment for Your Internship
- Submit completed forms and public school district employment contract to UHD Certification Coordinator.
- See academic advisor to register for SOSE 4304 and any outstanding UHD coursework to be taken with internship and pay necessary tuition and fees
- Apply and pay for a one-year probationary teaching certificate and fingerprinting with Texas Education Agency online (TEAL)
UHD Department of Urban Education then recommends candidate for probationary teaching certificate.
Phase 3: Your Internship (Semester 2 & 3)
- The internship is for one school year.
- An intern is the "teacher of record" with all rights, privileges, and responsibilities of any other teacher in Texas [Texas Education Code 13.306(2) and 13.037(a)] and must abide by the Teacher Code of Ethics (TAC 19.7.§247).
- Candidate pays a $4,000 internship fee to UHD Cashier's Office (payment plans available) and a mentor fee to the hiring school district (cost and payment options vary per school district).
- Each candidate is supported by a mentor teacher on her/his campus and a UHD field supervisor.
- During the one-year internship, candidates must:
- Attend required professional development seminars/workshops
- Pay fees for required TExES exams
- Pass the TExES EC-12 Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities exam (if not previously passed)
- Successfully complete state and school district appraisal requirements
- Be recommended for certification by the school principal, school mentor, UHD supervisor, and UHD ACP Director
- Submit an e-portfolio for the internship year
Phase 4: After Your Internship
||TExES Content Exam
||TExES Pedagogy & Professional Responsibilities EC-12 (PPR) Exam
||UHD Semester Courses
|EC-6 Elementary Generalist
|EC-6 Elementary Generalist w/Bilingual Supplemental
(Choose one area)
|English Language Arts & Reading - Test 231
Social Studies - Test 232
History - Test 233
Math - Test 235
Science Composite - Test 236
Physical Science (grades 6-12) - Test 237
Life Science - Test 238
EC = Early Childhood
* = ETC 3301 or equivalent
Program candidates must:
- All candidates will comply with the Teacher Educator Code of Ethics (TAC 19.7.§247).
- Understand that, as state guidelines change, program revisions occur to ensure that the UHD Urban Education Alternative Certification Program remains in compliance with Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and Texas Education Agency (TEA) regulations and guidelines.
- Realize that students are responsible for keeping up with revisions that affect individualized degree plans. Students should contact his/her advisor regularly and monitor the TEA website for teacher certification changes.
Last updated or reviewed on 3/3/15