Center for Public Service & Family Strengths
Formerly known as Office of Community Engagement
View more news
Mission: The mission of CPSFS is to enhance the educational experiences of UHD students, PK-12 students and teachers, and the quality of life of residents of the Houston community through collaborations, research studies, publication of an academic journal, and programs that reinforce academic learning and civic values among students, foster ethnic and racial harmony, strengthen families, advocate for underrepresented individuals and families, and facilitate the dissemination of best family-centered practices. CPSFS wishes to serve as a one-stop-center and clearinghouse for all UHD departments/divisions that seek to develop or strengthen linkages and relationships with local and national businesses, philanthropic organizations, foundations, institutions, governmental agencies, and individuals, in order to enhance the effectiveness and value of UHD degree programs and services to the community.
- To enhance the academic learning and intellectual growth of Pk-12 and college students by engaging in high impact instructional practices, career-related experiences and internships, and linking student interest and skill-sets with identified community needs and opportunities.
- To strengthen students’ civic values and moral character by embedding service learning in the curriculum, responding to community needs, and engaging in service to others through direct volunteer service, internships, and community development activities.
- To strengthen and support families through faculty research, program evaluation, technical assistance, information dissemination and clearinghouse services, publication of an academic journal, and implementation of practices that promote healthy families.
- To improve the quality of the social environment of the community by engaging in programs that foster equity, as well as racial and ethnic diversity and harmony.
- To increase the capacity of the community to provide solutions to community needs and challenges such as homelessness, child and adult maltreatment, human trafficking, food insecurity, disparity of access to essential services, morbidities, mental health, and immigration issues.
Last updated or reviewed on