Skip navigation
Page Description

The following page is a blank template with a header that contains a quicklinks jump menu and the search UHD function. Page sections are identified with headers. The footer contains all required links, contact and emergency information.

English Deptartment Header Graphic

Master’s of Professional Writing and Technical Communication Program Post-Baccalaureate Students

If you want to take courses on the graduate level without pursuing a graduate degree at UHD, you will need to apply as a post-baccalaureate student on the undergraduate level.

    UHD considers you a post-baccalaureate student if:
  • You are seeking a master’s degree at another university and come to UHD to take courses that will transfer to that institution.
  • You want to take courses and do not want to pursue a degree at another institution, nor pursue a graduate degree at UHD.

    Required admission materials:
  • Application form : use undergraduate application which includes post-baccalaureate admission
  • Application fee : same as for undergraduate post-baccalaureate admission
  • Official transcript : from the institution where your bachelor’s degree or equivalent was awarded.

    International admissions:
  • If you are an international student, you will need to meet international admission requirements.

    Advising and registration:
  •  As a post-baccalaureate student, you are advised by University College.
  •  You may self-advise; however, you will not be able to self-register for graduate courses in the MSPWTC program because you will need the approval of the graduate coordinator.
  • Post-baccalaureate students may have limited graduate course availability since degree-seeking graduate students will have registration priority in MSPWTC courses.

Taking graduate and undergraduate courses:

  • The university will allow you to take up to nine graduate semester hours without being admitted to a graduate program; however, please note that you may transfer no more than six graduate hours into your MSPTWC degree.
  • You may take undergraduate courses with your graduate courses. Undergraduate courses are not subject to the nine semester-hour graduate maximum.
    • As a post-baccalaureate student taking graduate courses, you will
    • Have the same privileges as post-baccalaureate students taking undergraduate courses.
    • Perform the same work and be evaluated according to the same standards as graduate students enrolled in that course.

Transferring post-baccalaureate course credit to the MSPWTC:

  • You may petition to transfer post-baccalaureate courses for graduate credit.
  • The graduate coordinator, considering each petition individually, will determine if courses taken by a post-baccalaureate student may be transferred to the MSPWTC.
    • To be considered for transfer credit, your petition must demonstrate that the course was:
    • In professional writing or a closely-related field,
    • Completed with a grade of B or better (official transcript, if transferred from another university), Not previously counted toward an undergraduate or graduate degree,
    • Completed no later than six years from your date of graduation.
  • If the courses are from another graduate program, you will need to provide course descriptions, syllabi, and/or readings lists.

Admission to a graduate program:

  • Admission to UHD as a post-baccalaureate student does not guarantee acceptance into a graduate program.
  • If you decide to pursue a master’s degree at UHD, you must apply to the graduate program and meet all the admission requirements.
  • If you are denied admission to the MSPWTC, you will be allowed to apply as a post-baccalaureate and will be allowed to reapply later.

You may not apply simultaneously for both graduate and post-baccalaureate status.


Page maintained by CHSS Web Tech.

Last updated or reviewed on 6/14/10

   Click here to print this page

Find us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter   Read Skyline   Join us on LinkedIn   News RSS   Events RSS