Young Sounds of Houston Youth Jazz Orchestra
of Houston is a program developed through the
University of Houston-Downtown Civic Jazz Orchestra
to create a high-quality jazz orchestra from
top middle and high school musicians throughout
the greater Houston metropolitan area. Young
Sounds is a joint effort of UHD and the Houston
Professional Musicians' Association, Local 65-699
and is endorsed by the American Federation of
Musicians of the
United States and Canada.
- Eligibility Requirements
- Applicants must be between the ages of thirteen (13) and nineteen (19).
- Applicants must pass a music reading and/or improvisatior1 audition.
- Applicants must agree to regularly attend rehearsals and performances.
- Note: Applicants who are enrolled in a secondary school music program will be allowed to give that program precedence over Young Sounds' functions. Young Sounds is intended to compliment rather conflict with existing music programs.
Benefits to Participants
- Participants will receive professional training while being associated with the University's Civic Jazz Orchestra, top quality professional musicians, and the world's largest organization of professional performers.
- Participants will perform concerts throughout the area. Some concerts will feature nationally and internationally known guest soloists such as Clark Terry, Kirk Whalum, Tony Campise, and Marvin Stamm. Previous performances include the Texas Jazz Festival in Corpus Christi, the Annual Kemah Boardwalk Jazz Festival and the bi-yearly International Musicians' Association meeting in Las Vegas.
- Participants will have an opportunity to participate in intensive rehearsal and clinic sessions with top professional musicians.
Auditions for the 2005/2006 Young Sounds of Houston Youth Jazz Orchestra will be held on Saturday, August 6 and Saturday, August 13th from 1:00 to 3:00 pm in the UHD Cullen-Robertson Auditorium on the 3 rd floor Academic Building at Number One Main Street.
To schedule an audition or obtain more information, contact Robert Wilson, UHD Civic Music Program Director, 713-221-8574.
Last updated or reviewed on 2/2/09