Arts & Humanities > Communications Studies > Internships
STUDENT DIRECTOR OF COMUNICATION STUDIES INTERNSHIP FAIR INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY
TWO-SEMESTER INTERNSHIP (SPRING 2010 & FALL 2010)
With Prof. Toni Hoang
POSITION: UHD Student Assistant Director / Director, Communication & Networking Internship Fair
HOURS: General hours are 3 hours on Monday/Wednesday (time negotiated at interview) for the Spring 2010 Semester, with extra hours near the time and on the day of the internship fair.
CREDIT: This position is a two semester position. You will receive 3 hours of course credit for COMM 4380 each semester (counts as 2 upper level COMM courses). The first semester you will work as the Student Assistant Director and will work along the side of the Student Director of the Internship program. The next semester you will be promoted to the position of Student Director and will be responsible for helping, training, and managing the Student Assistant Director.
BENEFITS: There are many benefits to this position that can enhance your career path.
- You will be recruiting and developing relationships with as many communication companies as possible. This is a wonderful opportunity to begin developing relationships with individuals that you may be seeking job employment from in the near future.
- You will work closely with Prof. Toni Hoang for an entire year. You will get to develop a one-on-one long-term relationship with her that is sometimes difficult to achieve in semester-long classes with your professors. The benefit is that she can write you a very strong letter of recommendation and will have a lot of evidence to draw from in writing this letter. Strong letters are very helpful when you begin looking for that next career step.
- You will be serving your UHD program in an invaluable way. The internship program each year brings connections to our students that have helped them tremendously in their success. You will be a part of something bigger than yourself – helping to advance the opportunities that communication majors have available and the reputation of the University of Houston – Downtown communication major. You will serve as our representative and contact in the community.
- This experience is an amazing job to put down on your resume to show future employees that you can handle an array of professional responsibilities.
- This internship will give you a lot of exposure to an array of job opportunities – especially if you are having a hard time figuring out which communication paths to take.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: For this internship, you, working with another student, will be responsible for planning the Spring and Fall 2010 Communication & Networking Fair. Responsibilities include:
- Adding to our current contact list of communication companies to invite to the fair
- Recruiting communication companies to attend
- Getting word out to students through various communication campaigns (flyers, speeches, telephone calls, emails, letters, etc.)
- Planning the logistics of the fair
- Evaluating the fair for preparation for the following semester
- Updating the Communication Internship Website
Page maintained by CHSS Web Tech.
Last updated or reviewed on