Skip navigation

UHD Undergraduate Policies - Required Testing

Texas Success Initiative

On September 1, 2003, the 78th Texas State Legislature replaced the Texas Academic Skills Program (TASP) with the Texas Success Initiative (TSI). In order to enhance student success, this state-mandated program evaluates college readiness in math, reading, and writing. Unless exempt, all students entering UHD as undergraduates for the first time are required to take the ACCUPLACER, ASSET, COMPASS, or THEA test. Students who plan to major in Urban Education must take THEA. Students who score below the minimum standard must enroll in the appropriate developmental courses. Additionally, they must meet with an advisor to develop an individualized success plan. Depending on the scores, the student may be required to enroll in a tutorial.

First-Time-In-College Students will be tested during Orientation. Transfer students must contact an academic advisor in Room 370-South or visit the Academic Counseling Center in University College (Room 655-South) to determine exemptions or the need for testing. Students enrolling at off-site locations may consult with the designated UHD advisor at the site.



  • žStudents who took the ACT less than 5 years ago with a composite score of 23 or higher. Individual Math and English scores must be 19 or higher. Partial exemption may apply.
  • Students who took the SAT less than 5 years ago with a composite score of 1070. Individual Math and English scores must be 500 or higher. Partial exemption may apply.
  • Students who took the TAAS less than 3 years ago with a composite score of 1770 or higher. Individual scores in Math must be 86 or higher and individual scores in Reading must be 89 or higher.
  • Students who took the TAKS less than 3 yrs ago with a 2200 with a 3 on the written essay. Partial exemption may apply.
  • Students who have an associate or a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
  • Students who are on active duty in the armed forces of the United States and have been serving for at least three years prior to enrolling.
  • Students who on or after August 1, 1990, were honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States or the Texas National Guard or service as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States.
  • Students who are transferring from a private or out-of-state, regionally accredited, college or university and who have satisfactorily completed college-level coursework as determined by UHD. Transcripts should be submitted to UHD as soon as possible. An official evaluation is required prior to granting an extension.
  • Students who have previously attended any institution and have been determined to have met readiness standards by that institution. The designation must appear on the transcript.
  • Students who are enrolled in a certificate program of one year or less (Level-One certificates, 42 or fewer semester credit hours or the equivalent) at a public junior college, a public technical institute, or a public state college.
  • Students who are not seeking degrees or certificates.


SPANTRAN and other authorized translations of international courses may also satisfy TSI requirements.

If you believe you meet one of the exemptions, show your transcript to an Academic Advisor in Room 380-South or to Gary Greer in University College (Room 655-South), 713-221-8277.


Score Requirements










6 (or 5+SS 40)





6 (or 5+SS 59)





6 (or 5+SS 80)







Although UHD students are not required to retest, they may choose to retest to satisfy TSI. Students who are TSI obligated must complete the following actions:

  • žMeet with an advisor to develop an individualized success plan.
  • Enroll in the appropriate developmental courses.


If you have questions or need additional information regarding the Texas Success Initiative, contact the TSI Information Line at 713-221-8266. Also, you may view the original document at


Developmental Education Requirements

All UHD students must satisfy developmental education courses by initial testing or by making a C in the course. Satisfaction of developmental education prepares one for college level courses and satisfies an important part of TSI. Developmental education courses include:

  • žReading: RDG 1300 (Reading)
  • Writing: ENG 1300 (Fundamentals of English)
  • Mathematics: MATH 0300 (Beginning Algebra) or MATH 1300 (Intermediate Algebra)


Placement Testing
S280, 713-221-8027

If students cannot produce a college transcript showing prerequisite courses for Reading, English, and Math they must take a placement test. Academic advisors will tell students which tests they need and will send them to Testing Services in Room 280-South (713-221-8027) with a placement testing form. Students must present the placement testing form, along with a valid picture ID and the testing fee of $29.00 when they are ready to test. For sample math questions, please visit






Students who took the SAT less than 5 years ago with a composite score of 1070 (V+M or CR + M) and Individual Math score 500 or higher will be placed into MATH 1301 or MATH 1310.

Students who took the ACT less than 5 years ago with a composite score of 23 or higher and Individual Math score 19 or higher will be placed into MATH 1301 or MATH 1310

Students who took the SAT-W less than 5 years ago with an individual score of 500 or higher will be placed into ENG 1301.

Students who took the ACTV less than 5 years ago with an individual score of 19 or higher will be placed into ENG 1301.

Students who took the SAT-Critical Reading ( or SATV)  less than 5 years ago with an individual score of  500 or higher will be exempt from placement into RDG 1300

Students who took the ACTV less than 5 years ago with an individual score of  19 or higher will be exempt from placement into RDG 1300


Developmental Education

As a result of placement testing, students may be required to enroll in developmental courses in reading, English, and/or mathemat­ics. Upon successful completion of any required developmental courses, students are required to enroll, and to continue to enroll, in their core curriculum course sequences in English composition and mathematics until these requirements have been satisfied.

Students who do not make satisfactory progress toward com­pleting required developmental courses may be placed on aca­demic alert, probation or suspension, or may be subject to other academic sanctions.


Courses and Course Credit

Course Load

Maximum course loads are established to encourage students to think carefully about the amount of time they will need to devote to each class.  The following policies are in place so that students are better able to meet their course obligations successfully.


  •  A standard undergraduate course load during the fall and spring terms is 15 to 16 semester credit hours, or five courses. Twelve semester credit hours are considered the minimum full-time load.
  • Students who are employed 40 hours per week should take no more than two courses, or six credit hours.
  • Students who wish to enroll in 20 credit hours or more in a  fall or spring term must receive approval from the assistant or associate dean of their college.
  • The standard load for one summer session is six to eight credit hours. 
  • Students who wish to enroll in nine hours or more in a single summer ses­sion or in two overlapping summer sessions must receive approval from the assistant or associate dean of their college.   


For information on the graduate course load, consult specific master’s degree coordinator.


Part-of-Term (PoT)

Effective Fall 2011, UHD began utilizing shorter sessions, termed “Part-of Term” (PoT) within full terms.  For more information about these offerings, please review the posted academic calendars on the UHD website (


Schedule Changes

Schedule changes are made online, and may require approval by an academic advisor. Registration instructions for Schedule Changes are found in each term’s Registration & Information Bulletin and the dates for Schedule Changes are found in the online Academic Calendar.


Discontinued (Cancelled) Classes

The university reserves the right to discontinue classes or other­wise alter the class schedule. Whenever possible, enrollment in an alternate course is completed through an administrative change form initiated by the department responsible for discon­tinuing the class.

Undergraduate classification is determined by the number of credit hours which have been completed: 0-29 semester hours: freshman; 30-59 semester hours: sophomore; 60-89 semester hours: junior; and 90 semester hours and above: senior. Master’s classification is determined by admission status.


Class Attendance

Students are expected to attend all class sessions. The responsi­bility for  dropping a course lies with the student. Departments and faculty members may have  additional attendance policies for their courses.


Transfer Credit-Undergraduate


Acceptance of Transfer Credit
Transfer students must submit official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended as a part of the admission process. An evaluation will be performed during a student’s first semester at the university. Course work transferred or accepted for credit toward an undergradu­ate degree must represent collegiate course work relevant to the degree, with course content and level of instruction resulting in student competencies at least equivalent to those of students enrolled in the institution’s own undergraduate degree program.


Courses transfer on the same level and with the corresponding number of hours as earned at another institution. Courses taken at a junior or community college do not transfer as upper-level credits.


Courses taken at other colleges that do not correspond to cours­es offered by UHD may transfer as elective credit.


With the consent of the appropriate dean, the chair of the depart­ment in which a student is majoring will make the decision concerning application of transfer credit to the degree program. Therefore declared majors should obtain approval from their degree-granting college before taking courses from a community or junior college which they wish to transfer to UHD.


In general, UHD does not award transfer credit for vocational courses that are not considered part of a standard col­lege curriculum. Students may petition the academic dean of the college in which they are seeking their degree, who may agree to award credit for such courses in exceptional circumstances.


Students should direct questions concerning transfer credit to their academic advisor or degree program coordinator.


Evaluation of Transfer Credit
Transcripts will be evaluated for institutional transfer credit upon completion of the admission application process. Students accepted later in the admission cycle may not have their transcripts evaluated until after they have actually enrolled. Transfer work will be further evaluated for applicability to the student’s chosen degree plan by the degree-granting college once the student has been accepted into the college as a declared major.


Students who apply to UHD while they are attending another institution must submit two official transcripts. The first should be sent at the time of application and should reflect the student’s current enrollment. A second must be sent as soon as grades are available for those classes.


Transferring Credits from Other Countries
Students applying for admission with college credits from other countries must submit an evaluated transcript from a credential evaluation service recognized by the university. Credits will be granted based on the recommendations of the evaluating serv­ice with respect to University of Houston-Downtown degree requirements at the time of enrollment.


Information and brochures from evaluating service agencies are avail­able at the Office of Admissions and online at


Transfer Credit Dispute Resolution Procedures
Students who receive written notification from Office of Admissions that a lower-level course taken at another Texas public institution of higher education has not been accepted may challenge denial of credit by UHD. To initiate a dispute action, a Transfer Dispute Resolution form must be completed. The form and instruc­tions for its completion are available in the Office of the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, Room S950.


Credit by Examination

UHD accepts up to 24 hours of credit by examination. Credit by examination may be obtained on the basis of several types of examinations. Nationally recognized standardized examinations such as the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the College Board’s Advanced Placement program may be used. Examinations widely used within a professional field and locally designed examinations also may be used. Students planning to take CLEP exams should do so before their final semester.


Nationally standardized examinations are administered through Testing Services; all other examinations are administered through the responsible department.


If credit is not awarded, a period of six months must elapse before application for re-examination will be considered. Appropriate fees are charged for each examination. No student may attempt the exam for a particular course more than twice.
Credit may be granted for professional certification and training received from armed forces and service schools. With consent of the appropriate dean, the chair of the department in which the student is majoring will make the decision concerning the applicability of such courses to the degree program.


Credit received by examination does not fulfill residency requirements for graduation.


No grade is awarded for courses for which credit has been obtained by exam, nor are hours received for such courses included in the calculation of grade point average for graduation. Listed below are the subject examinations for the Advanced Placement Program and the College Level Examination Program.


College Level Examination Program



earns credit for


American Government


POLS 2305


American Literature


ENG 2311 & 2312


Analyzing & Interpreting Literature


ENG 2300


College Algebra


MATH 1301


College French


FREN 1401 & 1402


College Spanish


SPAN 1401 & 1402


English Literature


ENG 2313 & 2314


College Composition Modular


ENG 1301


History of the US I


HIST 1305


History of the US II


HIST 1306


Human Growth & Development


PSY 2310


Information Systems & Computer Applications


CIS 1301


Introductory Psychology


PSY 1303


Introductory Sociology


SOC 1303




MATH 1302 & 1404


Principles of Macroeconomics


ECO 2301


Principles of Microeconomics


ECO 2302


Advanced Placement Program



earns credit for


Art History


ART 1302




ART 1301 & 1302



3 or 4

BIOL 1301/1101




BIOL 1301/1101 & 1302 /1102



3 or 4

CHEM 1307/1107




CHEM 1307/1107 & 1308/1108


Computer Science A


CS 1410


English: Language & Composition OR English Literature & Composition


ENG 1301


English: Language & Composition OR English Literature & Composition


ENG 1301 & 1302


French Language

3 or higher

FREN 1401 & 1402


Gov’t & Politics: US


POLS 2305


Mathematics: Calculus AB


MATH 2401


Mathematics: Calculus BC


MATH 2402


Physics B

3 or 4

PHYS 1307/1107




PHYS 1307/1107 & 1308/1108


Physics C: Mechanics


PHYS 1307/1107


Physics C: Electricity & Magnetism


PHYS 1308/1108




PSY 1303


Spanish Language/Literature


SPAN 1401




SPAN 1401 & 1402



US History                                        


SPAN 1401, 1402, & 2301
HIST 1305


US History

4 or 5

HIST 1305 & 1306



Credit for Military Service

It is the policy of the University of Houston Downtown to award transfer credit for military courses and/or military service based on the recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE)’s Guide to the Evaluation of Education Experiences in the Armed Services.  Credit for military courses and/or credit is available to all admitted undergraduates.  Either elective or direct course credit will be awarded based on ACE recommendations.


Credit for Military Service (HB 269)
HB 269 makes military veterans who enroll in Texas universities and who meet certain requirements eligible to receive undergraduate college credit for the time they spent in the service. Eligible veterans receive college credit for all the required physical education courses needed for their degree and up to an additional 12 semester hours of elective coursework.


To be eligible to receive credit under HB 269, veterans must have:

  • Graduated from a public or private high school accredited by a generally recognized accrediting organization or from a high school operated by the United States Department of Defense
  • Completed at least two years of service in the armed forces (or discharged because of a disability)
  • Been honorably discharged from the U.S. armed forces
  • Credit awarded under HB 269 is awarded for having served, not for college-level courses that might have been taken while in the military.


Acceptable forms of documentation include:

  • AARTS Transcript (Army ACE Registry Transcript)
  • CCAF Transcript (Community College of the Air Force Transcript)
  • SMART Transcript (Sailor/Marine ACE Registry Transcript)


Elective credit


Directed Studies Courses
A directed studies course allows students to work directly with a faculty member on an individual basis. This type of study is intended to expand the curriculum and may not duplicate an organized course. A directed studies course requires a term paper, research study or comparable project.


Students wishing to enroll in a directed studies course must be juniors or seniors and have a grade point average of at least 3.0, with a grade point average of at least 3.3 in the specific area of the directed studies course.


Procedures for enrolling in directed studies courses are available in each academic department. Degree requirements may limit the number of hours of directed studies that may be applied.


Auditing Courses
To audit a course is to enroll in a course on a noncredit basis. Audit students pay the regular tuition and all other applicable fees as set for the current academic year. Senior citizens 65 years or over may audit for free on a space-available basis. A change to credit status may not be made after the student has registered to audit a course. Changes from credit status to audit status in a course must be made prior to the end of the business day of the Official Day of Record. A Request for Audit form must be processed in the Registrar’s Office by the Official Day of Record for the appropriate term along with Instructor approval. Students wishing to audit courses should contact the Registrar’s Office for further details


Grading System and Standards

Academic Honesty

The Academic Honesty Code is embraced by all members of the University of Houston-Downtown academic community and is an essential element of the institution’s academic credibility. The Honesty Code states "We will be honest in all our academic activities and will not tolerate dishonesty." The purpose of the Academic Honesty Policy is to deal with alleged violations of the Honesty Code in a fair and consistent manner. The policy is administered jointly by students and faculty. It is each student's responsibility to read and understand the Academic Honesty Policy. It may be found in the Student Handbook (


Grading System

The following grades are included in the calculation of grade point averages:


Grade Grade Points
A Superior 4.0
B Above Average 3.0
C Average 2.0
D Below Average 1.0
F Failure 0.0

The following grades are not included in the calculation of grade point averages:

A* Non-credit grade
B* Non-credit grade
C* Non-credit grade
I Incomplete
IP In Progress
Aud Audit
S Satisfactory (passing)
U Unsatisfactory (not passing)
W Withdraw


I (Incomplete)
An incomplete grade is given only when an unforeseen emer­gency prevents a student from completing the course work and only with the instructor’s approval. A grade of I will be changed to a passing grade if the missing work is completed satisfactori­ly by the deadline set by the instructor but no later than the end of the long semester immediately following the term in which the grade was received. An incomplete grade that is not removed by this deadline becomes an F. Repetition of a course for which an incomplete grade was received does not affect resolution of the original grade. An incomplete grade earned in a student’s graduating semester is computed as an F in determining grade point average.

IP (In Progress)
The grade of IP may be given in some developmental courses.  In the calculation of grade point average, a grade of IP is treated as a W. To receive credit for a course in which an IP was assigned, a student must register for the course again and earn a passing grade.

S (Satisfactory)
The grade of S may be earned in field experience courses and cer­tain other courses. Credit received with a grade of S is not part of the grade point average calculation.


W (Withdrawal from Courses)
Students will not receive a grade for a course if they drop   the course by the Official Day of Record (see Academic Calendar).


Students automatically receive a grade of W for any course they  drop after the Official Day of Record up to the drop/withdrawal deadline as listed in the online Academic Calendar. 


Official Day of Record and drop/withdrawal deadlines are published in the University Calendar online at and may be found in the Registration & Information Bulletin.


Class days are defined as days on which the university normally has one or more classes scheduled; not the days for which an individual student is scheduled for his/her particular classes. For purposes of determining academic calendar dates, class days during the Fall, Spring, May and Winter terms are Monday through Friday while class days during a summer term are Monday through Thursday.


Additional grading system information  applicable to graduate students  is pub­lished in the specific master’s degree handbook.


Grade Point Average (GPA)

The grade point average is a measure of a student’s academic achievement. Grade point averages are computed by multiply­ing the grade point value by the number of credit hours in each course, and then dividing the sum of all grade points obtained by the total number of hours attempted. The following formula represents the method of computing grade point average:

Total Number of Grade Points    Total Number of Semester Hours

=  Grade Point Average

The number of grade points earned for each course equals the hour credit value of the course multiplied by the points awarded for grades received. Grades of I, S, U, IP and grades marked with an asterisk (*) in the table above are not counted in the cal­culation of the grade point average, except for graduation. Grades of I will be calculated as F grades in determining grade point average for graduation.

In calculating the Grade Point Average (GPA) to determine honors for students who have earned all their credits at UHD, the UHD GPA, as it appears in the student record system, is used. For students who have completed some portion of their college work at other institutions, the UHD GPA is combined proportionately with the GPAs earned at those other institutions to determine eligibility for honors.

Undergraduate students must meet a graduation requirement of a minimum 2.0 grade point average calculated on all grades earned at UHD. Some departments may specify more stringent requirements, such as a 2.5 grade point average in the major or a 2.5 grade point average in all upper-level courses.

Graduate students must meet a graduation requirement of a minimum 3.0 grade point average.


Appeal of Grades
Any grade which a student believes to be in error should be appealed, first to the instructor, then to the appropriate depart­ment chair, and finally to the appropriate dean. If an appeal is not made within one calendar year after the close of the semes­ter in which the grade was received, the grade will be consid­ered final and no appeal is allowed.


Dean’s List

The Dean’s List recognizes students who have achieved superior academic performance during the fall or spring semester. To be included on the Dean’s List for a specific semester, a student must, during that semester, complete at least nine semester hours of college-level work, earn at least a 3.5 grade point average, and receive no grade of I or F. The Dean’s List is published by each college at the end of each fall and spring semester.


Grades for Repeated Courses
Effective Spring 1994, when a course is repeated, only the most recent grade, even if it is lower than the original grade, will be used in computing the grade point average. This excludes courses repeated prior to Spring 1994.


Graduation with Honors

Students who complete bachelor’s degree requirements with exceptionally high grade point averages receive degrees with honors.

  • a cumulative grade point average of 3.75-4.00 graduate summa cum laude,
  • a cumulative grade point average of 3.50-3.74 is required for magna cum laude.
  • a grade point average of 3.25-3.49 is needed to graduate cum laude.

In the computation of this average, all courses attempted at UHD are counted, including courses repeated, failed and passed, but excluding courses with grades of S, W or IP.


For candidates who complete some portion of their college work at other institutions, the cumulative grade point average of all work attempted at UHD and the grade point average of all college work is computed; the lower of the two averages is used as the basis for determining honors.


Students not eligible for cum laude, magna cum laude or summa cum laude honors may be eligible for College Honors. Students who have earned a GPA of 3.50 or greater in their last 60 hours attempted at UHD, including at least 30 upper-level hours, are eligible to receive the designation, “College Honors.”


Academic Probation and Suspension

Transfer students who were placed on Academic Suspension at the most recent institution attended, prior to applying to UHD, will not be offered Admissions.


Academic probation is a warning to the student that his or her aca­demic record has been unsatisfactory. A student who is not making satisfactory progress toward meeting graduation requirements may be placed on academic suspension if this record does not improve. A student is placed on academic probation at the end of any term in which his or her cumulative GPA falls below the specified mini­mum cumulative GPA shown below. The cumulative GPA for aca­demic probation and suspension is computed on all grades earned at UHD. Grades of I, IP, S or W are not counted.


Semester hours

Minimum Required Cumulative GPA





60 or more, or upon
declaration of a major



Suspension means that a student is ineligible to register or remain in classes. Students on academic probation will be suspended at the end of any term in which their cumulative GPA falls below the specified mini­mum cumulative GPA unless they earn a minimum GPA of 2.0 in that term.


A student’s first academic suspension will become effective at the beginning of the next term and will remain in effect for that term only. The student may be granted earlier readmission at the discretion of the student’s academic dean or the dean’s des­ignated representative.


The second time a student is placed on academic suspension, the length of the suspension will be indefinite. The student may be con­sidered for readmission after one term and only upon appeal to the students’ academic dean or the dean’s designated representative.


The third time a student is placed on academic suspension, the suspension will be permanent. Any appeals for readmission fol­lowing a permanent suspension must be initiated at the aca­demic dean’s office. The final decision rests with the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost.


Academic Amnesty

After a four-year absence, a student returning to UHD may petition his or her academic dean for academic amnesty. To be eligible, the student must not have attended any institution of higher education for the four-year period immediately preceding readmission to UHD. In addition, the student also must complete 24 semester credit hours with a minimum grade point average of 2.5 following readmission. The amnesty provision applies only to the application of credit toward a degree and computation of the student’s grade point average. No grades on the student’s permanent record are altered or deleted.


If academic amnesty is granted, all courses with grades of F or D earned prior to readmission are ignored in applying credit toward fulfillment of degree requirements and in future computations of the student’s grade point average. A student granted academic amnesty relinquishes all rights to graduation with honors and any other academic recognition based on grade point average.


Student Records


Requests for official UHD transcripts are made online through the MyUHD portal via Student eServices and are processed by the Registrar’s Office.  All requests for official UHD transcripts will be processed within 2-3 business days, with the exception of  transcripts that include coursework completed at South Texas Junior College, which may take up to 10 business days for processing.


Official transcripts from other institutions which are submitted to the Office of Admissions as part of the admissions process become the property of UHD and will not be rereleased to the student unless the request is covered under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  Additionally, UHD does not include completed transfer coursework on the official UHD transcript.


Unofficial transcripts, also known as the online grade history, are available through the MyUHD Portal, under the My Transcript & Grades option in Student eServices.


Note: Grades for Part of Term (PoT) courses ending prior to the close of the full term will be available online on the dates listed in the Academic Calendar. Part of Term (PoT) official grades will be displayed on the official transcript when grades for the full term are made available. See the Academic Calendar for grade posting dates at


Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination Requirement

Effective January 1, 2012, Texas Senate Bill 1107 requires all students (under age 30) entering an institution of higher education (public and private) and enrolling into courses which meet face-to-face on campus to either receive a vaccination against bacterial meningitis or meet certain criteria for declining such a vaccination before classes start. Effective January 1, 2014 the age requirement is under 22 years of age. For additional time-sensitive information about this requirement, please visit:


Release of Student Records

UHD has a policy in conformity with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) covering the release of student records. Student rights include the following:


  • ž   Students have the right to inspect and review their education records within 45 days of the day the university receives the request.
  • Students have the right to request amendment of their educa­tion records that they believe are inaccurate or misleading.
  • Students have the right to consent to the disclosure of person­ally identifiable information in their education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
  • Students have the right to file a complaint with the US Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the university to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

Directory Information

At its discretion the University of Houston-Downtown may provide directory information to the general public without student consent. Directory information is defined by University of Houston-Downtown (within the guidelines of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974) as follows:


  • Student’s name
  • Mailing address
  • Primary Telephone number
  • University assigned e-mail address
  • Date and place of birth
  • Classification
  • Enrollment status
  • Major and minor fields of study
  • Degrees, certificates, awards and honors received
  • Dates of attendance
  • Graduation date
  • Expected graduation date
  • Student’s user name
  • Most recent previous education institution attended
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Weight and height of members of athletic teams


Students may request that directory information be withheld from the public by contacting the Registrar’s Office at any time during the semester. Such requests must be made in writing and will remain in place until the student directs the office in writing that it is to be removed. The Confidentiality Request Form is available online, visit the Registrar’s Office website for more information.


Disclosure of Education Records

In accordance with FERPA and at its discretion, UHD will dis­close information from a student’s education records without the written consent of the student to school officials who have a legitimate educational or administrative interest in the records. A school official is defined as a person employed by the univer­sity in an administrative, supervisory, academic, or support staff position (including the university’s police department and health care staff); a person or company with whom the university has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Regents; or a person assisting another school official in performing his or her official duties.


Procedure for Inspecting Education Records

A student has the right to inspect his or her education records and challenge the contents. To review records, a student must make a request in writing to the Registrar’s Office. The request must clearly and specifically identify the record or records he or she wishes to inspect plus the purpose of the request. The request must be signed and dated by the student. The University will respond to the student’s request within a reasonable time. A request to inspect (review) education records is not considered the same as a request for copies of the records.


Procedure for Amending Education Records
If a student believes the information in his or her education record contains information that is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student’s rights of privacy, the student should submit a writ­ten and signed request for amendment to the Registrar’s Office. The request should clearly identify and correct the inaccuracy. The university will noti­fy the student within a reasonable time regarding the request. If the request for amendment is denied the student has the right to appeal the decision. This procedure does not govern grade appeals.


Change of Name and Address

An official change in name must be reported to the Registrar's Office and when applicable to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. Original legal documentation must be presented along with a copy of the Social Security card when requesting a name change or correction. (e.g. marriage certificate, divorce decree, naturalization certificate, etc.)  A copy of your state issued driver’s license or government issued photo ID will also be required.  Mailing addresses may be changed online through the  MyUHD Portal’s  Student eServices at under “My Personal Profile & Emergency Alerts.” Currently enrolled students requesting a name change should refer to the Student Information Change form for important information regarding updates to GatorMail and Blackboard.


Graduation Requirements


General Degree Requirements for Graduation

For degree completion, at least 25% of the semester credit hours must be earned through instruction offered by UHD.


In addition to completion of specific degree requirements, all students must meet the requirements described below. The final 30 semester credit hours of course work toward the degree must be taken at the University of Houston-Downtown. At least 18 of these hours must be at the upper level and be approved by the student’s major department. Only the appropriate academic dean may waive any portion of these requirements and only upon petition by a student who has extraordinary reasons.


The University of Houston Downtown limits academic residency to no more than twenty-five percent of the degree requirements for all degrees for active-duty service members. Academic residency can be completed at any time while active-duty service members are enrolled.  Reservist and National Guardsmen on active-duty are covered in the same manner.


A minimum grade point average of 2.0 calculated on all grades earned at UHD is required for graduation. In addi­tion, a grade point average of 2.0 is required for all courses taken at UHD that apply toward the degree.


Students enrolled in any degree program at the University of Houston-Downtown who wish to take courses at another college or university (including any other institution in the UH System) and apply the credits toward the degree should consult with their degree program advisor to be sure the courses apply to their degree pro­gram. A student taking courses under these provisions is responsi­ble for having an official transcript from the second campus for­warded the Office of Admissions at UHD. The student also must request that an official evaluation of this transcript be made and reported to the appropriate degree program advisor.


Double Majors and Dual Degrees


A student can earn two different degrees by simultaneously completing the requirements for two academic programs of study that award different Bachelor’s Degrees, such as a Bachelor of Arts (BA), a Bachelor of Science (BS), a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) or a Bachelor of Science in Engineering Technology (BSET).   With each degree, students will also select a major and, thus, will graduate with two majors as well as two degrees.  However, the fact that each major is awarded with a different degree establishes students on this path as students seeking a “dual degree.”


A student can earn a double major by simultaneously completing two academic programs, both of which award the same degree.  Examples of majors include English, History, Chemistry, Finance, Accounting, Criminal Justice, and Computer Science.  The majors may or may not be housed in different colleges.  The fact that each major is awarded under the same degree establishes students on this path as students seeking a “double major.”


A UHD GPA of 2.5 is required to declare a dual degree or double major, and the declaration must be made before students submit any applications for graduation.  Students may not pursue more than two degrees or majors simultaneously. 


A bachelor’s degree contains a minimum of 120 semester credit hours.  Students in a dual degree program must complete all courses required for each degree.  Each degree must consist of at least 30 unique hours taken in residency at the University of Houston-Downtown, with a minimum of 18 of the unique hours in each program being upper-level and applicable to the upper-level requirements of the degree.  Students seeking a double major must complete at least 18 upper-level hours in residency at the University of Houston-Downtown for each major.  These 18 hours must be unique to each major and must be applicable to the upper-level requirements of each major. 


Students should be aware that the state has imposed a limit of 120 hours for all degrees.  Students who attempt more than 30 hours above this enrollment cap may be charged out-of-state tuition for the excess hours.


If students declare both degrees or majors at the same time, they must indicate which will be the primary degree or major and which will be the secondary degree or major.  The college housing the primary degree or major is the academic home of record. 


If the second degree or major is declared after the student has already been accepted into one program, the first degree or major is considered primary.  Students wishing to have the second declaration considered the primary degree or major must seek permission from the dean of the college housing the new primary degree or major.


Students deciding not to continue pursuing a dual degree or double major may opt out of one degree or major by notifying in writing  the dean of the college housing that degree or major before graduation is certified.


Students who will not be able to meet all of the requirements of one of the degrees or majors by the time of certification will be notified by the dean’s representative in their home college.  At that point, such students have three options and must state the preferred option in writing to that representative:


  • to get certified in only the completed degree or major
  • to change the uncompleted degree  program or major into a minor, if a minor in that area exists
  • to delay any certification until both degrees or majors are completed.


Honors of summa cum laude, magna cum laude, and cum laude will be calculated by an official in the college of the primary degree for dual degrees and the primary major for double majors.  The college of the primary degree is responsible for forwarding the needed documentation to determine honors in the secondary degree to the college responsible for the secondary degree plan.  


College Honors will be determined by an official in the college of the primary degree for dual degrees or the primary major for double majors.  The college of the primary degree is responsible for forwarding the needed documentation to determine honors in the secondary degree to the college responsible for the secondary degree plan.


Students who successfully complete a dual degree will receive two diplomas, and both degrees and any majors within those degrees will be noted on their transcripts.  The transcripts of students who successfully complete a double major will indicate both majors.


Additional Bachelor’s Degree

To qualify for a second UHD bachelor’s degree after having been already certified in one bachelor’s degree, a candidate must

  • meet the general and specific requirements for each degree.
  • take at least 30 unique hours, including 18 hours needed for the major, in residency for each degree at the University of Houston-Downtown, with a minimum of 18 of the unique hours in each program being upper-level and applicable to the upper-level requirements of the degree.


Graduation under a Specific Catalog

A student usually graduates under the degree provisions of the Catalog in effect at the time of his or her first completed term of enrollment; where enrollment is defined as registration for and completion of at least one course. Students have the option of graduating under the Catalog in effect at the time of their major declaration or any subsequent Catalog. If degree requirements change during the time of the student’s enrollment, the student may be required to meet the new degree requirements if the number of hours the student must take has not increased.


•   No Catalog more than 10 years old may be used.
•   Students who interrupt their program for more than two con­secutive long semesters for reasons other than military serv­ice shall be governed by the Catalog in effect at the time of re-entry to the
•   Students whose enrollment is interrupted by military service must re-enroll within one year from date of separation from the service and no more than five years from the beginning of military service in order to remain under the provisions of the Catalog in effect at the time of original enrollment at the university.
•   Students forced to withdraw for adequate cause before comple­tion of their degree may upon readmission petition to graduate under the Catalog in effect at the time of original enrollment.
•   Students who change their major shall be governed by the Catalog in effect at the time of the change.

Application for Graduation

All degree candidates must file an application for graduation with their college and pay the $50 graduation fee by the Official Day of Record for the term of intended graduation. The graduation fee covers the costs of processing the graduation application, printing the diploma and mailing it to the graduate, and other costs associated with the commencement ceremony. If students fail to complete all degree requirements during the term in which they applied for graduation and paid the graduation fee, then they must apply for graduation and pay the graduation fee again when they become eligible to graduate.

Candidates must also place a diploma order, which specifies how they want their name to appear on the diploma, with the Registrar’s Office.


Commencement Exercises

To participate in commencement exercises, students must be enrolled in the courses needed to complete all degree requirements and must file an application for graduation with their college, and pay the graduation fee by the second Monday after the last day to drop a course without a grade (the Official Day of Record) for the term of intended graduation. The final decision on eli­gibility for graduation and participation in commencement exercises rests with the appropriate academic dean.

Commencement participants with honors are so designated in the commencement program and wear special insignia with their academic regalia. As commencement occurs prior to the posting of final grades, the designation of honors for May and December commencement participants reflects only grades earned prior to the final semester. Designation of final honors on the transcript and diploma, however, is based on all work attempted.

Arrangements for obtaining academic regalia may be made through the university bookstore. Deadlines for ordering and paying for regalia are announced for each commencement.



Page maintained by UHD Academic Affairs Webmaster

Last updated or reviewed on 8/28/13

   Click here to print this page

Find us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter   Read Skyline   Join us on LinkedIn   News RSS   Events RSS