Skip navigation

UHD Graduate Resources & Services - Veterans Services

Veterans Services
S244, 713-221-8622


The University of Houston-Downtown’s Veterans Services Office is dedicated to helping the men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces achieve the American dream of becoming highly successful. UHD recognizes the unique needs of service members, returning veterans, and their families and will work closely with them to make sure that they are aware of all the benefits and services that are available to them. Experienced staff are available to answer questions concerning veteran educational benefits, certifying enrollments for the Department of Veterans Affairs, monitoring students’ degree plans and academic progress, as well as giving referrals. The Veterans Services Office cannot determine eligibility for benefits.  You have courageously served our country, now let us serve you!


Hazlewood Act for Veterans
State law provides that a veteran who is a legal Texas resident is exempted from tuition and certain required fees, but not from deposits. The veteran must meet the following criteria:

•   reside in Texas for a period of not less than 12 months prior to the date of registration;
•   served in the armed forces or in certain auxiliary services for more than 180 days;
•   was a bona fide legal Texas resident at the time of entering such service;
•   was honorably discharged (except those who were dis­charged because of being over the age of 38 or because of personal request);
•   exhausted all veteran’s educational benefits;
•   is not eligible for federal grants, including federally sponsored grants provided for veterans by the US government; and
•   is not be in default on any federal or state student loans.

To obtain this exemption, the veteran must submit an application with attached evidence to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid by the Official Day of Record of the term for which the veteran is applying for the Hazlewood benefits. Hazlewood applications must be renewed each year.

If you qualify or have questions about the Hazelwood Act, please contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.


Credit for Military Service

It is the policy of the University of Houston Downtown to award transfer credit for military courses and/or military service based on the recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE)’s Guide to the Evaluation of Education Experiences in the Armed Services.  Credit for military courses and/or credit is available to all admitted undergraduates.  Either elective or direct course credit will be awarded based on ACE recommendations.


Credit for Military Service (HB 269)
House Bill (HB) 269 makes military veterans who enroll in Texas universities and who meet certain requirements eligible to receive undergraduate college credit for the time they spent in the service. Eligible veterans receive college credit for all the required physical education courses needed for their degree and up to an additional 12 semester hours of elective coursework.


To be eligible to receive credit under HB 269, veterans must have:

  • Graduated from a public or private high school accredited by a generally recognized accrediting organization or from a high school operated by the United States Department of Defense
  • Completed at least two years of service in the armed forces (or discharged because of a disability)
  • Been honorably discharged from the U.S. armed forces
  • Credit awarded under HB 269 is awarded for having served, not for college-level courses that might have been taken while in the military.


Acceptable forms of documentation include:

  • AARTS Transcript (Army ACE Registry Transcript)
  • CCAF Transcript (Community College of the Air Force Transcript)
  • SMART Transcript (Sailor/Marine ACE Registry Transcript)



Page maintained by UHD Academic Affairs Webmaster

Last updated or reviewed on 8/28/13

   Click here to print this page

Find us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter   Read Skyline   Join us on LinkedIn   News RSS   Events RSS